This is a day that brings back lots of memories for me. Two years ago today, we were at my Grandma Roth's funeral. She was 77 years old and passed away on July 4th.
Keith, Max and I were en route, moving across the country to our new home when she passed away. She suffered from congestive heart failure and hadn't been doing very well in the past few months. However, just the night before we had been at her place to visit her and say our goodbyes. We had a nice little visit and she even had little goodbye presents for us to take to our new home along with a card she had written. As we were driving away I said to Keith "She's doing better today...I think she might pull through this rough little patch" and I was totally optimistic that I would see her at Thanksgiving when we came home for a visit. But less than 24 hours later, she took a spell and was not responding. In fact, we were halfway to the airport to catch our flight, when Keith's cell phone rang and it was my mom. The ambulance was taking her to the hospital and it didn't look good.
What were we to do?
We had to keep going. The moving company had called us an hour earlier confirming that our household items on the moving truck had arrived in BC early and they would be at our house first thing the next day to unload. We had to be there to unlock and tell them where to put the stuff. So we flew out to BC and crashed (not literally!!)at a hotel. A few hours later we were up again, meeting the movers and dealing with that. I had the next 2 days to try to unpack, get everything hooked up, and get some order to our house. And then we all flew back to Ontario to attend grandma's memorial service. It was a sad day for me....Somehow it didn't seem real until I arrived back in Ontario. And then I had 1 day to grieve and deal with many emotions.
I am her oldest grandchild, so naturally I have alot of happy memories of her and my grandpa - I spent lots of time at their house! I'm glad she's not suffering anymore. She's in a much better place and we have the promise that some day we'll be able to see her again!
The photo above was taken when Max was 7 days old. Grandpa and her came to visit and meet the little Max-Mouse!
1 comment:
I can't even imagine. I know how it is to grieve the lost of love one years after they are gone. I too soon have an anniversary coming up of one, but to be in that situation and moving. :( Sending you my love and prayers!!!!
love you
jenn
Post a Comment