




Painting Update: The painters (Francoise and David) have made awesome progress on the house. And they've only been here for 1.5 days. I cannot believe the difference a few gallons of paint make. I mean, I can....but still. I just want to pinch myself whenever I'm on the main floor because the transformation is astounding! The very first photo shows the new colour in the dining room and kitchen. But if you look through the arch, you can see the infamous "white-pink tinged" paint on the wall. Thankfully, that will soon be gone too. The colour is Wheeling Neutral by Benjamin Moore and I love love love it. It is exactly that - a neutral. And it goes with everything - our floors, the various counter tops (kitchen and bathrooms), the brick back splash in the kitchen, the kitchen cabinets, the slate fireplace, the carpets, the ceramic tile entrance, the existing woodwork/trim/doors colour and...hmmmm....I'm sure I'm forgetting something there. There was A LOT to take into consideration. Which is why I didn't even begin to attempt to pick the colour on my own. I had a lady come over from the nearby Benjamin Moore store to guide me in the right direction. The only condition I had was that it wasn't a "dark" colour. Our house doesn't get a ton of of natural light so I didn't want dark walls. Right away she picked out green undertones in our countertops and so we went from there. Using her big colour decks, we figured out the 2 top choices. Then I bought the little paint pots and painted sheets of cardboard and moved them around the house for weeks so that I could see the colours in various rooms and different times of the day. Good plan. Because the colour I originally was going to go with was absolutely ICK at night. So I went with the second choice and both Keith and I couldn't be more pleased. Which is good, because we have to live in it after all! :-) The painters took today off from painting. But they'll be back bright and early tomorrow morning. Tomorrow night we are going to move all our clothes and necessities into the guest room in the basement and camp out there for the next couple of weeks until the upstairs is finished and the paint fumes go away. I'll post more pics of the progress throughout the week.
Saturday we went out and got new outdoor Christmas lights. Our existing ones were sooooo ghetto. Well, not really I guess. The lights before our existing ones were ghetto. Last year we bought all new ones - the white LED's. They bite. Seriously. They're horrible. We had them up last year and hated them. You could hardly see them. I think the coloured LED's are much better. But all our neighbours surrounding us have them. So we wanted to be a bit different. So what did we do? Went old-school and bought power-sucking non-LED white lights. (So much for helping out the environment by using reusable shopping bags in my earlier post, huh?!) They look so nice on the house though, and until they come up with a better solution for white LED's...sorry - we're going with the energy un-friendly ones.
We'll I'm being paged. Christmas Family movie night tonight. We're watching Santa Clause 2. :-) We went out for a drive this afternoon to Big White. There was snow there so now we're feeling all festive and Christmasy! :-)
Have a great week!
6 comments:
That IS a nice color! I love it, too!
Turning green over the Christmas lights. Mine must have gotten destroyed in the move, 'cause nothing I had last year lights up this year! My lights will have to wait till the actual month of Christmas.
Love love love the paint! We put up our power sucking lights too... love them!
Patti - your house looks beautiful....so big. I can't wait for more wide angle shots of your other rooms.
~ Carrie
looks fabulous!
I love your new colours! I also love Benjamin Moore paint...it's the asolute best! We bought LED pure white lights, and they are so bright and white they almost look bluish.....they are great and not dim. You should maybe buy your lights in Ontario?!?!?!?? Love your blog, keep up the great writing and pictures! Anita N.
Love the colours, looks more "Patti" now! Warm and cozy too. Leanne
Post a Comment