Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A little Christmas Trivia


We had a little playdate this morning with Michelle, Miss E and Miss K. Attempted to get a few photo's of all three of the kiddo's by the Christmas tree. This is the one that turned out the best LOL!

Today in an email from my friend Maureen, I received the "Christmas edition of getting to know your friends". I thought it might make a good blog entry. And since I'm not emailing it to all my friends like I'm supposed to...I'm going to tag a few people to update it with their answers and put it out on their blogs - Jenn Metzger, Michelle(ScrappingLife) and Wendy O - all three of you can consider yourself tagged!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Both... totally depends on the gift. If the item is boxed I usually prefer to wrap it. If it's an awkward shape then a gift bag is the answer.

2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial (Real is very nice but I'm not keen on the mess of pine needles. And I know I would be terrible with the watering. Plus I like to put my tree up early...too early to use a real one)

3. When do you put up the tree? Usually the last weekend in November

4. When do you take the tree down? Ideally, it would be down first thing on December 26. But since we're often out of town visiting family, it doesn't come down until the beginning of January.

5. Do you like eggnog? Ewwwwwww!

6. Favorite gift received as a child? A little wooden table with matching chairs. My aunt gave me a orange checked tablecloth to go on it. Table and chairs are long gone, but I still have that little tablecloth.

7. Do you have a Nativity scene? We have a few and I love them all!
1. The Little People Nativity that is for Max to play with.
2. A Partylite nativity - it's all cream pottery/bisque/whatever you call it. You light a tealight behind it and the entire manger scene glows.
3. A few years ago for Christmas, my parents gave me the basic Willow Tree nativity set.

8. Hardest person to buy for? My brothers and brother-in-laws. I have no clue. Luckily, Keith finds them the easiest to shop for.

9. Easiest person to buy for? Max Mouse

10. Worst Christmas Gift you ever received? I honestly have no idea - don't think I ever got one! :-)

11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail 'em

12. Favourite Christmas Movie? It's a tie between National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and The Polar Express. I remember going to see Christmas Vacation in the theatre when it first came out - I think I was in grade 9 (right Wendy?!) I thought it was hysterical. And it's one of those movies we watch every year and I still laugh as much as I did the first time I saw it. And I just love the little advent/countdown calendar they use in the movie - it's awesome. Polar Express is my "new" favourite since it's only been out a few years. Max and I could sit down and watch it together every day and not get tired of it. Magical!

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Beginning of November. I like to aim to be finished by the first of December so that I avoid the mad crowds. I'm don't do crowds very well. Must be old age setting in.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Ohhhhhhhh probably!

15. Favourite thing to eat at Christmas ? My mom's homemade butter pecan tarts with a dollop of real whip cream on top. YUMM-O!

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear. That being said...I do like coloured - takes me back to my childhood Christmas's. Some year I might be daring and go with coloured....you never know...

17. Favourite Christmas song? You know....I don't know if I have a favourite. I like listening to all my Christmas music from traditional carols to the latest stuff on the radio stations. As long as it's Christmasy it's all good!

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel, Travel and more Travel...

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donder (if you read the poem The Night Before Christmas...it is actually Donder and not Donner) and Blitzen and of course Rudolph. Thanks Moe :-)

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Gold glittery star

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Two presents on Christmas eve which always happens to be new pajama's (Surprise! Surprise!)and a new Christmas book to read together as a family. All other gifts are opened Christmas morning.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? How busy everything is. Not just the stores and restaurants....but the number of functions and dinners and obligations there are. I admit that I can get a bit frustrated and grumpy when I'm running around all the time and don't have time to sit back and enjoy the season. I need to work on my attitude, eh?

23. What is the "corniest" family tradition you do, or miss doing? Ha! I don't really consider our traditions corny....but maybe if you're outside our family you would! My mom always makes homemade pizza on Christmas eve for the entire family...definately going to miss that this year. Christmas day there is always a great big hockey game played outside on the driveway after a very delicious and traditional dinner. Mind you, I'm usually doing dishes while the guys (and a few girls)are out there busy wearing off their dinner. It's also a tradition that my dad goes out and buys something for each of his kids (and my mom too!). My mom has no clue what it is. It's usually in the form of a crystal bowl or vase or something like that. He's so funny...I think there was one year he gave us the same bowl that he gaves us a few years previously - so we each have two now! I'm always so curious to see what he's going to come up with each year. Oh and a tradition on Keith's side of the family.....midnight snack. After we are finished celebrating Christmas (later at night) we sit down for all kinds of "delicacies". I stick with the cheese and crackers and veggies. I'm not adventurous. But I always make sure Keith gives me a goodnight kiss before we start eating because I'm not keen on a kiss that has whiffs of sardines and all kinds of unnamed fish and other things that I don't know what they are.

24. Ugliest Christmas Decoration ever invented? A few years ago I would have said hands down, those big plastic blow up lawn ornaments that you see all over the place. But...sigh...I have a little boy who just gets sooooooooo excited when he sees them that it's made me look at them through different eyes and now I can "appreciate" them. Haven't gone as far as setting one up on our front lawn...but... you never know!

25. Which looks best theme trees or homey trees? A mix of both. I have a basic theme (colour scheme wise), but I'd say 50% of the ornaments are a whole modge podge from my growing up years and ones we've collected over time.

No comments: