The last leg of the journey. We camped at Kakabeka Falls (near Thunder Bay) for two nights. We had planned to spend a day in Thunder Bay sightseeing and relaxing after our marathon drive through the prairies. The falls and campground are beautiful!

We spent a good part of our day at Fort William. Fantastic place. Five years ago, we lived in Thunder Bay for four months while Keith was working on a job. Max turned one while we lived there. He was little and doesn't remember anything about it. We had been at the Fort during our time there and knew that he would really enjoy it this time around.


Checking out drying buffalo hides...

Someone managed to find a chess game. Surprise Surprise.

My two boys seeing if they are cut out for Voyageur work...hauling pelts and skins...

The interpreters put on lots of little "shows"...very entertaining!


I had to be careful. If I let Keith out of my sight for just a minute, this is what I could expect to see...

Hiding in the buffalo hides...they look cozy, no? I think we'll leave them there all the same.

Traditional Wigwam...

Always something to do and see and climb around on...


After we were done at the Fort, we visited the Terry Fox monument.

The monument overlooks Lake Superior. Can you see the "Sleeping Giant" in the background?

One is real...two are not...

No, this is not a figment of your imagination. There is place in Thunder Bay (I think it might even be considered an Island?) that have tame deer wandering around like crazy. The residents in the area feed them. We used to drive out there every Sunday afternoon for a little excursion and see how many deer we could count. We couldn't resist going back to see if they were still plentiful. They were.

It was at this point that cold weather set in. And rain. Did we ever get rain. The rain pouring on our poor tent trailer was so loud that neither Keith nor I could sleep that night. The next morning we packed up a soggy tent trailer and headed out. We stopped that night in the Soo. It was cool outside but not raining. We heard that it was supposed to rain that night. It didn't take much to make up our minds that hoteling it was the way to go that night. I woke up in the middle of the night and peeked outside our hotel window. I saw rain blowing sideways across the parking lot in torrents. It was a good decision. I slept very well that night.
I think by this point it was Saturday. We didn't have a big day of driving ahead of us...just a few hours. We were headed to Keith's parents/family near Sudbury where we were staying for the night.
Max meets his little cousin Evan for the very first time...

Grandpa and Max are watching the clock. Timing themselves to see how long they can sit perfectly still without moving a stitch...

Grandma is right where she wants to be...surrounded with a bunch of her little grandsons! 

Sunday we were back on the road headed for our final destination. Five hours later we were there. Our next new home. Lots of work ahead of us. The house had been painted while we were gone. Let the unpacking begin! :-)

The end.
1 comment:
what an adventure! you have great pictures.
legs
Post a Comment