Last Tuesday, Max and I decided to check out Doon Heritage Village in Kitchener.
We almost didn't get there. I haven't been there in years. I knew where it was located but imagine my surprise when I couldn't find it. The whole village had disappeared! So bizarre. We drove up and down the main road. Finally turned into the parking lot and stared at a big ultra modern colourful museum that was in the process of being built. Landscapers were working away and there were lots of machines in the parking lot. Past a chain link fence I could finally spy the village I remembered. But we couldn't get to it. There was the issue of a fence. What in the world? The two of us walked up to the front of the modern building that was still being worked on. Pulled on the door. It opened. In we waltzed. Well. There was a nice reception desk with people working behind it. Imagine that. Apparently, this is the way to access the village. The museum itself won't be opening until the fall. But the heritage village was open and to get to the village you have to walk into the museum to pay and then through it to access the village. So very confusing. Apparently we are not the first visitors to be super confused by this...it happens to just about everyone. I think it was the ultra modern building they've put up....you can't even begin to associate it with a village from 1914. Ah well. In the end we found it and that's what matters.
We had a fabulous day. Seriously thought that we would spend about 2 hours there and then be on our way. We ended up spending the entire day there and left at 4:30 when it closed. So much fun. Perfect for Max's age. Highly recommend it. And cheap too. Admission came to a total of $10.99 for the two of us. Considering we spent the whole day there and didn't spend anything else, I'd say that's darn good value!
I've included lots and lots of photos. Consider yourself warned. They generally speak for themselves. I may add a few comments here and there.





The village is way more interactive than I ever remembered it being. There were lots of costumed interpreters. Very awesome at interacting with the visitors. When we purchased our tickets, we were given a list of activities occuring throughout the day. At various scheduled times you could pick an activity to do. There were generally 3 different things to choose from at the given times. At 11:00am, one of the options was to "dress your children in 1914 fashion at the tailer shop". Max wasn't keen about this at all. But the other options weren't appealing to him either (ie. cut out and colour paper dolls at the General Store) so I convinced him to just try a hat on. The ladies at the tailer shop managed to convince him to wear a vest as well. Isn't he so cute?! If it wouldn't be for his crocs you could almost picture him as being in 1914!


A favourite spot was the blacksmith shop. We spent quite a bit of time here. Max ended up walking out with a "s" hook that he watched the blacksmith make.




Playing with period toys at the general store...


Visiting the old farmstead...




Visiting the Siebert House (def. not a farm house, this was much fancier)...





Enjoying our picnic lunch beside the cow pasture...


Max loved the animals. Spent lots of time with the chickens and the pigs...





Another scheduled activity that Max chose was "Playing a baseball game at the Martin House". It ended up being more like a game of 500, but the kids all had a chance to bat and catch. Using gloves and bats based on 1914 styles. Tricky!




A visit to the Martin House (Old Order Mennonite House)...

Someone was thrilled to learn how to pump water the old fashioned way...

Loved the colour combinations in this house. Seriously. Mustard Yellow painted floors. And such green walls. Not my personal choice, but fun to look at!


The attic where the tramp(s) slept)...

Max thought the basement was freaky...guess he hasn't been in old basements very much.

More water pumping fun. This time outdoors behind the house...


Making a pinwheel toy at the Siebert House. This wasn't really his top choice of an activity. But it was blazing hot and humid and we were tired. And it was the closest activity to where we were at the time.



The most awesomest activity of the day was at the very end..."Fishing in Schneider Creek by the Old Covered Bridge". I think Max would have stayed here all day and night. He didn't catch a thing (very well/over fed fish who are smart smart smart!) but that didn't curb his enthusiasm. He fished until the village closed at 4:30. Bamboo fish poles and bread dough balls for bait...fish away boys!




And this would be the front of the museum. See what I mean about being super modern? Worlds apart from the 1914 village. And that's why we were confused. No signage as of yet. And you don't associate the two together. But it's going to be all very cool when it's completed I think. We want to def. go back and check it out when the museum part opens. See Max below? He's kinda camoflaged in there!

Max and I rate this experience as 5 out of 5 summertime high-fives! There's lots of fun activities and it's super reasonably priced. Take a picnic lunch and your camera and enjoy the fact that you only have to live in 1914 for a day. At the end of the day you'll be going back home to your a/c, washing machines, kitchen appliances and comfy mattresses! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment