Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sunday drives...

A few Sundays ago we went on a little roadtrip and ended up in Goderich...

From our perch above town, we watched a ship being brought in by tugs...




A storm was rolling in so we didn't stay too long...

Just long enough though for the Maxter to try on a ginormous pair of wooden shoes!

We left and headed toward light skies. Didn't matter where. Just wanted to get away from the rain. Next stop...mini-golfing.



And then onwards once again. Our final destination ended up being Point Clark.

There is just something about vast expanses of water. It calms and relaxes me. Makes everything all better. Instantly. Makes everything seem possible. What stresses and worries did I have again? Who cares...they've all drifted away on the currents. For me, oceans and lakes are therapeutic and soothing.

It's been a year since we've moved to and lived in Ontario. It's hard for me to fathom that we've now been here longer than we we lived in Kelowna. Craziness! Those of you who do and/or who've done the moving thing are well aware that there are completely different pros and cons with every single move. One of the things I've really missed this time around and have been struggling a little with is our proximity to water. We are so landlocked where we are right now. In Vancouver we lived minutes from the ocean. I'm sure it's a safe bet to say that I at least saw glimpses of it every day when I was out and about. I just had to walk three doors down my street to get an ocean view. In Kelowna, we didn't have the ocean but we were surrounded with the huge beautiful blue Okanagan Lake. Which we could see from the upstairs bedrooms in our house. And we drove alongside every single day to get where we were going. Going from incredible huge water views to none at all has been an adjustment. Sometimes I just get such a longing inside me to see and be by the water. I'm not a swimmer. If truth be told, I don't really like going in the water. I just like being near the water. Lonely deserted beaches. Waves rolling in. The sound of water lapping the shore. Sand in my toes. Stones and rocks. The ocean/water smell. Love love love it all.

I'm ever so grateful when my dear hubby suggests little roadtrips such as this. Where we end up by big water. He seems to sense before I do that it's just what I'm needing. ;-)  















Ahhhhhhh..... Don't those photos just make you want to be there? I could go back in a heartbeat!

Every so often I skim through all my lake/ocean photos that I've taken over the years. A simple photo can take me right back to that particular moment in time and make me feel like I'm there.

What about you? Are you drawn to big water like me?

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I like any water. If you ever want a nice little family campground near Goderich, check out Auburn Riverside Retreat. My friend and I have camped there a couple of times. Lots of kids and they usually have different events, nice kids play area, fishing, tubing, a pool and and elk compound.
Long time no talk to. Ryan was asking again about meeting Max but with my silly job now, it's hard to get out and about unless we can arrange a weekend sometime. Anyway, hope you are well! Enjoy the first day of school!