Monday, August 16, 2010

Lame summer blogger

(sunflowers at my mama's house)

Lame summertime blogger = me.

Computer time is rock bottom on my priority list.

I've been meaning to post the following recipe I tried out a few weeks ago. It was delish. Perfect for summertime eating.

***************************************

Stacked Vegetable Quesadillas
Source: Simply in Season

1/2 sweet onion (thinly sliced)
In nonstick frypan saute in 1 tablespoon oil until translucent, 1-2 minutes.

1 clove garlic (minced)
4 ounces/125 g mushrooms (thinly sliced)
2 carrots (julienned)
1 zucchini or other summer squash (julienned)
1 green or red sweet pepper (thinly sliced)
Add and cook 5 minutes morej ust until vegetables are tender.
Salt and pepper to taste.

12 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups/375 ml pepper jack cheese (shredded)
Assemble 4 stacks simultaneously on a baking sheet. Start with a tortilla, top with a large spoonful of vegetables, some grated cheese, and then another tortilla. Repeat layers, ending with a third tortilla. Place tortilla stacks in preheated oven at 400F/200C for 10 - 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and stacks are hot. Cut into quarters and serve warm with salsa, sour cream, avocado and/or chopped fresh cilantro.

A couple of things I changed...
*I used a whole onion and 2-3 cloves of garlic.
*I used mozzarella cheese instead of pepper jack cheese (just simply because it was what I had on hand.)
*Carrots - I usually have a bag of those "carrot matchsticks" you can buy at the grocery store right beside the bags of the baby carrots. Totally time saving and were perfect for this receipe.
*Next time I want to try adding some leftover, cooked, shredded chicken.
*Don't omit the mushrooms. I don't really care for them and *almost* left them out. Glad, I went very easy on them instead. Somehow they just make the taste perfection!

I don't have a picture of the quesadillas. Just trust me on this one. Totally worth making. :-)

Here's something else yummy to make...Fruit smoothies.
Use up leftover fruit in your fridge. (The smoothies below consist of...strawberries, banana, pineapple, kiwi, blueberries, milk, icecubes)

Blend it all up.
Pour in individual glasses.
Obviously this is much more then the Maxter could down in one sitting. Freeze them. And then it just requires pulling one out about 30 - 45 minutes before he wants it (to allow it to thaw). Stick a straw in it and enjoy. :-)



Max is a BIG FAN!

No comments: