Thursday, August 19, 2010

Magical summer afternoons...

Adorable, right?!

This afternoon, Max and I were at my mom's place. I was helping to do corn for freezing. The boredom blues set in for the Maxter fairly early on. A streak of inspiration hit me. I'm not sure how, when or why, but it did...I remembered the outdoor "tents" that my brother Jonathan and I used to make back in the day. So I pitched the suggestion. Max perked up his ears. So did Vanessa. I gave her a list of the absolute essentials.... a couple of blankets, clothespins and a clothesline, and a bunch of big bricks from the flowerbed. Off they went...

Of course, I couldn't keep my nose away and made a few suggestions....some twinkly fairy lights, a bunch of little chairs....a few snacks....books to read....and even the cd/tape player eventually made it's way out there. You know what I love the most about it? It's in the exact same spot that Jonathan and I used our blanket tent all those years ago.

The whole idea/concept was definitely a hit. It looks way too girly and frilly foo-foo for the Maxter. I know. I know. The patterned blankets lend itself that way. But it didn't stop Max from finding himself a "gun" and playing make believe right from the start.  Such is the way of boys. I took a ton of pics. I'll be posting them at a later date. And in the meantime, Max and I are making plans for a more "cowboyish" type of outdoor fort. I'm going to see what type of sheets/blankets I can find at the thrift store. Could be awesome!!

The past couple of weeks have been busy...

*Finished up swimming lessons at the pool. Max is in swimkids level 2. His instructor said he is right at the border of level 2 and 3. So it's our decision what level we put him in next. A repeat of level 2 will be good for him to work on his endurance. Bumping up to level 3 will be challenging. He has turned into such a little fish this summer!
*This week and next week, Max is in a summer camp every morning held at Wilmot Centre Missionary Church. He loves it. They play lots of games (Across Canada, Capture the Flag and Snatch the Bacon) and do little experiments (eggs) and crafts (painting pet rocks). He's having great fun!
*Keith has been travelling with work again. Looks like he'll be doing quite a bit of that over the next few weeks. He's been to the Cochrane area twice now in the last week. Just got home tonight again. Tomorrow he leaves for Arnprior for a few days. Next week the Yukon. The life of a jetsetter!
*Checked out African Lion Safari. Very cool and fun time we had! Got a whole wack of pictures coming from our day there.
*Max and I have been hanging out at my parents farm a lot this summer. Max loves running around there and being a farm kid. I've been helping my mom with corn. And peaches. And just regular everyday stuff like hanging out laundry on the washline, etc.
*Saw the movie "Cats & Dogs" in 3D. Totally cute!
*Went for a drive this past weekend....first to Goderich. It nicely started to rain when we arrived so we kept going. Found a mini-golf course near Point Farms Provincial Park and played a round. Ended up at Point Clark on the beach for a while. Lovely!
*I've been working on a couple of projects. One has to do with the church we attend. They have built a new building. I'm working away at taking all kinds of photos of the old building before it's torn down, as well as photos on Sunday mornings. This is resulting/has resulted in hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of photos that have to be edited and sorted through, deleted or saved. It's not something I can work at constantly non-stop...takes time.
*Our central air in the house has decided to act up. Just thankful the evenings have been cooling off so nicely now so at least we're not sweltering when we sleep. It will be nice when it's working properly again.
*This is the time of year when all our appts need to be attended to. Eye appts have been had. Everyone's vision checked out just fine. On the list for next week....dentist appointments. Don't enjoy those quite as much.

I'm sure there's other stuff we've done and been up to but my brain is tired and I really can't remember anymore.

I leave you with one more from today...
"You know grandma's chocolate??? It's on TV!!!!!" -Maxter this evening before bedtime.

(Background: Today Vanessa made little sandwiches for the two of them to eat in the tent. Nutella sandwiches. Max had never had Nutella before. (deprived, huh?!) Chocolate sandwiches, what a concept to a little boy! So tonight just before bed he was watching TV and a Nutella commerical must have come on. So cute!)

No comments: