Thursday, February 4, 2010

The adventures of poor Mrs. Quack

I think I've talked about the Thornton W. Burgess books that Max and I are in the process of reading through. We usually refer to them in our house as the "Peter Rabbit" books. We probably have close to 20 of them (thanks to my mom) and every night before bedtime we read a couple of chapters. The latest book we've been reading is "The adventures of poor Mrs. Quack."

Yesterday morning I was running a few errands, including dropping off some books at the library. Which is right beside the Nith River. And lo and behold if I didn't spy a "Mrs. Quack." Actually, a whole bunch of Mrs. Quacks. And Mr. Quacks too. I take my camera pretty much everywhere with me and so I snapped a few pictures for Max. He was so excited last night when I showed the pictures as we were reading the book. Definitely helped to make the story come alive for him.

"After what seemed to Sammy a very long time, the green spot moved again. Little by little something reached out from under the pile of brush. It was a head, a very beautiful green head, and it was exactly like Mrs. Quack's head, only hers was a sober brown instead of green. Sammy choked back a little gasp of surprise as a sudden thought popped into his head. Could this be the lost Mr. Quack? He had forgotten that probably Mr. Quack dressed differently from Mrs. Quack, and so of course he had been looking for some one all in brown." (Page 70, Poor Mrs. Quack.)

"He waited as still as you please, and at last the green head was slowly stretched out again, and Sammy could see that the neck was green, too, and that around the neck was a white collar." (Page 71, Poor Mrs. Quack)

And then I even managed to spy Mr. & Mrs. Quack and Honker the Goose all together across the river. Which REALLY delighted the Maxter! Normally photographying birds/animals is not my thing. But this time it was fun because I knew the reaction would be awesome! :-) I wasn't disappointed.  We finished the book last night. Tonight we'll be starting "Buster Bears Twins." I told Max not to get his hopes up...the chances of me coming across twin bears and getting a picture is next to nil. Maybe if we still lived in BC. Hmmmm....field trip?! :-)

Is anyone else as sick of winter as I am? Words cannot describe.
I'm trying to be productive though.
Today I'm tackling my filing. Purging old files and storing them away. Gathering income tax stuff. Organizing the safe and filing cabinets. It's a good feeling and will be even better once it's all done. I'm getting there. Sure beats getting my drivers license renewed. Don't even go there. I'm madder then a hatter about it right now. I'm not sure why this province makes things so dang complicated? Seriously. Keith is just laughing at me because he was even more madder then a hatter before Christmas when he attempted to get his done. Tomorrow is another day to make the attempt....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a cute story! Love the pics :)

Legs