
Sing along with me "It's a small world after all...it's a small world after all...it's a small world after all...it's a small small world!"
The last couple of weeks I have made connections and bumped into people so randomly that it's almost bizarre. Definitely not a coincidence. I somehow think it's God's way of showing me that he's in control of our big move looming on the horizon.
One week ago, Keith, Max and I were driving home from Tofino. It was a Sunday afternoon and we were buzzing down the Trans Canada Hwy towards Chilliwack. There is a road (I think it's called the South Parallel road) that runs right beside and (you guessed it!) parallel to the hwy. It's used by farm vehicles and local residents as it is predominantly a farming area and is a much safer alternative then Hwy 1. Anyway...we are driving down Hwy 1 and out of the corner of my eye I notice a little entourage of bicycles in a single line heading down the South Parallel Road. My mind started whirling (I'm not sure why they even came to my mind - keep in mind this all happened in within seconds) and as we were passing I said to Keith "HEY! I think that's Tim & Sandra and their boys!!!!" Sure enough, by the time we were past them I recognized Tim at the front of the pack. Tim is the pastor of Peace Mennonite in Richmond. They are originally from Ontario and we got together with them when we first moved out to BC. They are a very active family and each year on their summer vacation they bike. Major bike trips! Bike trips I couldn't even begin to imagine. We wanted to stop and say hi so badly, but there were no exits in sight and we had no choice but to keep on going. Keith and I both thought how incredible it was that we would happen to see them heading out on their vacation. What are the chances?!
Now this is where the story gets even better.
This weekend we were out on a drive. Minding our own business. Trucking along. Out of the corner of my eye, what do I spy? A bicyclist...and then another and and another...Keith and I both shouted to each other at the same time "Tim & Sandra!" Of course, we were on another very very busy road. This time though we were determined to pull over and wait to talk to them. Definitely not a coincidence. We finally were able to stop in a safe spot and we waited about 5-10 minutes for them to appear and we did surprise them! :-) We had a quick little 15 minute chat with them before they pushed off and headed down the road.
Maybe I'm the only one who is amazed by that little story. And that's ok. I still can't believe that we saw them twice. The timing and chances of that are all due to God's impeccable timing! :-)
A couple of weeks ago when we were in North Van for the weekend I ran into (not literally of course) a couple that looked so familiar to me, at the hotel we were staying at. In fact, I couldn't just pass by. Oh no. It's the "Nelson" in me I swear! I had to stop them and tell them that I think I know them. They were very obliging...probably wondering what type of crazy lady I am. But you know what, about a half hour later, we had it all figured out. We knew each other from my days of clerking at auction sales. Specifically the Gospel Echoes Auction Sales every Fall.
When we were camping in Tofino, Max made a little friend his age at the playground. We ended up chatting with his dad. Turns out that this little boy has the most amazing story. When he was 2 years old, he suddenly became blind as a result of an ear infection which caused a blood clot. It's a long story. But the miraculous thing is, about 6 months ago, he was suddenly able to see again. He started kindergarten blind but by Christmas time he could see. Watching this little boy playing with Max, you would have never guessed what he'd all been through in his short little life. The whole story is so amazing and truly a miracle, I can tear up just thinking about it. As we were chatting, didn't we end up making the connection of a little boy on Max's soccer team that was diagnosed with Leukemia? Turns out the dad knew this family. Small little world we live in. We don't really know that many people in BC so when we start making connections this close to the time we are leaving, it makes me stop and pause. Crazy, huh?!
Sorry for my rambling if you made it this far. I just wanted to document these little stories for our family to look back and remember down the road.
4 comments:
Those stories are great! And, I opened the picture so I could see a larger image of the cyclists. If you look closely, I think that's a moving truck in the background!
So cool it is!! I love hearing stories like this!
legs
And yes, I'm in my house posting this comment! oh what luxury I now have!!! LOL!
legs
It's pretty amazing when you bump into or see people you know.
I love it when God does things like that for us just to show us how small this world really is!
Post a Comment