Sunday, July 19, 2009

FYI: We are ok!






Most people by now know about the forest fires that are happening in West Kelowna. Just wanted to assure you that we are ok and not affected. We live on the opposite side of the lake. Very reassuring to have that lake in between us and the fires I have to say. We do have quite the view of it though.
First photo - was taken in our back yard about 1 hour after the fire started.
Second photo - taken from our upstairs bedroom window.
Third photo - taken as we were driving down our road towards the lake.
Fourth photo - last night we were in Vernon at the Sun Valley speedway for a race. It's about an hour away from our house. As the evening progressed, the smoke became more and more visable on the horizon.
Last photo - Taken this afternoon. Temps seem much cooler today but there is a definite wind which isn't a good thing. Mr. Sunshine is hidden by all the smoke. Needless to say, we are not hanging outdoors today.

Last night after we drove back from Vernon, we stopped down by Sarsons Beach (along with lots of other people) and watched the fire across the lake. You could definitely see the red fire blazing away - it was quite the thing to witness with your own eyes. Seemed a bit surreal.

My heart goes out to all the thousands who are displaced from their homes right now and who have lost homes so far. Even though we weren't living here at the time, I remember very vividly in 2003 when the same thing was happening in Kelowna but on our side of the lake. In fact, our house was built after that fire here in the burnt out area. (The reason I remember it so well was because I was still working full time, it was just before I went on maternity leave. We had a couple of offices here in the Okanagan and so I was kept updated on a daily basis by our employees who worked for us and lived here in Kelowna.)

It's been very very hot here the past couple of weeks and everything is tinder dry. Please pray for this whole situation... the safety of the firefighters...that they could gain control of these fires and that we would get some much needed rain.

2 comments:

GraceY said...

Patti, thanks for that update. I've been watching news clips on-line. One of my facebook contacts from my visit to Kelowna is from Glenrosa and they've been evacuated. I was looking at maps and thought you should be okay but it's good to see for myself that you are (pictures, blogs etc)

Michelle said...

Wow, I was wondering if you were affected at all with falling ash, etc. My mother thinks you should write books are really enjoys reading your blog!