Thursday, July 23, 2009

"It's our only hope!"





Max and Cole. Two little kindergarten friends. They get along so well. Their play dates are stress-free for me because they entertain themselves and play so well together. Yesterday Cole came over to our house. Today Max went to Cole's house. Cole's family leaves for their summer vacation tomorrow so we packed in two final play dates for the boys.

These photos are from yesterday. They played outside the entire afternoon. I have never giggled so much in all my life as I couldn't help but overhear them.

Now here's the thing. There are two cute little girls that live in the house behind us. They were outside in their yard playing with a friend yesterday afternoon too. It didn't take long for a HUGE water fight to begin over the fence. And it went on for about 1.5 hours. At times, I had to step into the backyard and assure everyone to "keep their tempers sweet and play nice". It got a bit competitive between the two yards.

This is what I overheard from two serious little boys who were intent on soaking the cute little girls next door.

"We need to make a waterproof vaccination."
"This is our only hope!"
"We're gonna win this thing."
"This is our only hope!"
"Guys! we're not ready yet. We need to set up a trap!"
"It's our only hope."
"We NEED the quad. Yeah, we need the quad. Let me get the quad."
"It's our only hope."
"I'm sure we're going to win this. We're good at this."
"It's our only hope."
"It's our only only only only hope. But there's still a lotta hopes, right?"
"It's our only hope!"

The "its our only hope" line was repeated about a million billion trillion times throughout the afternoon. Max and Cole went as far as to start clipping together towels with those plastic twixit clips and stringing them across the lawn to make a trap and catch the girls. How they were going to manage that, I'm not sure. But it kept them busy and entertained.

Good times and good memories for sure. Max has made some great little friends both here in Kelowna and in North Van. (and me as well since the moms have become dear friends) I hope we can stay connected with even if we're moving across the country.

Today after Max came home from Cole's house I asked him how his play date was. He told me they had to stay away from a corner of the yard because there were tarantula and black widow spiders. What? Little boys imaginations are great!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too cute!! And that's only the beginning (with the girls!!) HA!

xoxo
legs