Monday, March 7, 2011

Reaching into the vault...African Lion Safari

There are lots of photos I never did get around to posting from the 2010 summer. The last couple of weeks I've been cleaning up/sifting through all the photo files on our computer, backing them up and organizing. Since I don't have any new pictures to share due to my broken camera and all, I thought I'd post some pics from the African Lion Safari.

Max and I spent an August 2010 day there. On our way, we stopped at Keith's work and took him out to lunch with us. The office he works out of is relatively close to the Safari.

After a nice lunch together, Keith went back to the office and Max and I continued on our way. It was a lifetime ago since the last time I was at the safari (maybe I was 10 years old?) so things had changed. And for the better. So much to see and do. We had an absolute blast!


We drove through the safari with our own vehicle. These signs made me laugh every time. Seriously. Who would think of opening their windows or get out of their vehicle as you're approaching the lions?! I guess there's always one or two people...

The lions were just starting to wake up from their afternoon siesta when we drove by...

Remember the sign about keeping your windows closed? Yeah. Then we see this....guess it's different when you work there!


Max was highly disappointed (I was not!) that the monkeys were ignoring us. They were jumping on the vehicles all around us, but staying away from us. I didn't mind. I was a bit nervous that they'd chose our vehicle for lunch and tear it apart. You hear stories...










Flamingo legs...they look like they've been spraypainted orangy pink, don't they? Or else that they're painfully sore.

The elephant show was fantastic...









It was a verrrrrrrrrrrrry hot and humid day. We used every available option to keep cool...


Max loved this ball pit/slide/climber thing. For the record,  I want to say that I hate those ball pits. YUCK. I can count on one hand (maybe 2 times in total) that I have let Max play in those things. I don't even want to let my mind wander as to what type of germs are lurking there and what other "treasures" could be hidden amongst those balls. UGH. This day I let him and he took full advantage and played here for quite a long time...






We did a little river cruise to see more animals...


Someone got an elephant ride...



And towards the end of the day when the crowds started thinning out, we hung out at the splash pad...
It was while Max was cooling off in there that my phone rang. Hello? It was Keith wondering if how close to home we were. Oops. It was 6:30pm and we were still at the Safari. We'd lost total track of time. He had just arrived at home from work and was wondering where we were! All in all...a wildly successful fun day. Someone is already talking about going again this summer. But this time, we're not going to return his daddy to work after lunch, we're taking him with us!

No comments: