Friday, February 4, 2011

this n that

It's Friday. All day.
Imagine that!! :-)

Well, now that we're nearing the end of it, I have the courage to officially say...

"This has been a good week."

The first good week in a long time.
And all for 3 little reasons. Something that we so typically take for granted...
Max has been healthy. I have been healthy. Keith has been healthy.
There have been no phones calls from the school about a little boy who's not feeling well.
There have been no doctors visits.
No medicine has had to be administered or ingested.
No drugstore runs to stock up on tissues, cough drops, advil/tylinol/ibuprofin/nyquil/yadda yadda yadda.
Pacing of the floors at 3:00am due to coughing fits? Non-existant.
The thermometer hasn't seen the light of day in over a week now.
And energy....finally I have some energy...enough energy that I actually want to tackle cleaning my house, laundry and cooking.
Hallelujia!!
Now we just need to stay healthy.
That's the key.
We're all sick of being sick.
And we will do what we have to, to keep those sick bugs at bay!!

Today I was planning to run into the big town for a bunch of errands. But. My truck is making a funny noise(s) and I'm thinking maybe I'll just stick to errands in the little town instead until Keith has a chance to check out my vehicle.

So I'm just sipping my nice big cup of coffee (the new coffee maker is doing a bang-up job by the way) and making a list in my head of what I plan to accomplish today on the home front. We kind of have a busy weekend (busy for us) so there will be no relaxing around here today. Although I'm in a chatty mood. So I'll chat a bit first and then get to work. Here goes...

I made an interesting observation the other day about my house. It seems to be a bit more (ok, a lot more!) on the messy cluttery side now that Max is 7 years old compared to a few years ago when he was preschool age. If you walk in my front door, you will see all kinds of little things scattered all over my living room floor...tucked under armchairs and the coffee table....marching along the back of the couch. Things like hotwheels cars....teddy bears....silly bands.....little tiny toys.....mini-sticks.....racing flags.....CD cases....little booklets from CD cases...legos...precious rocks and stones...and the list goes on and on. They're not placed randomly. They all have specific spots and the minute Max walks in the door after school he's right there playing away with everything. Not sure what he's playing. But he's occupied and busy with his "stuff".  I guess the difference is, at preschool age he had his toys out all over the place too. But it was random. And at the end of the day, they all got picked up and put in their baskets and shelves and buckets and bins and it took a few minutes. Done. Now? Oh my goodness. It takes forever to cleanup. And you can't clean up because it's all part of a big plan and it goes on and on for days into weeks. So my house looks like a zone. And the only time it doesn't is when I know in advance that people are coming over or I deem it time to vacuum. Funny. Somehow I was thinking it would be opposite...the toys would be scattered when he was younger and there'd be more order now as he's getting older? Nope. Not here.

I love homemade strawberry freezer jam. I made some this summer and we have been enjoying it. I tasted a jar of bought jam the other day that was in my cupboard. That's when I realized how much I LOVE the homemade stuff. The bought stuff doesn't even come close to touching it. Def will be making that again this year when strawberry season rolls around! :-)

I am addicted to those Scotch Lint Rollers. They're the ones that have the sticky sheets that you just keep tearing off when they're all used up. They are very handy to use while you're getting ready and just before you go out the door to remove stray lint and hair from your clothing. They also work fabulously on cloth upholstery and accent cushions. And when I'm done ironing Keith's work pants and shirts, I'll quickly roll it on over them and it just takes off every little lint speck. Awesome!

I stopped at the public library this week to pick up a book that I had ordered online. Max was with me. (Now that he goes to the library at school every week, I usually never take him to the town public library anymore.) I came to a startling realization. He has sooooooo grown up. We used to go to the library together at least once a week. We'd leave with piles and piles of picture books. Go home and cuddle up on the big chair and I'd read them aloud to him from cover to cover. Stacks and stacks of books. That time has passed. We are in a new era! Right away he spied the World Guiness Book of Records and had his nose stuck in it for a while. Then he told me that he'd be interested in signing out books about World War II and JFK's involvement (before he was president). What?! You're in grade two. How do you even know about this stuff? He was not interested in the kids picture books at all. He was all about researching different subjects. Times have changed indeed!

Do you use your public library?
I rarely ever browse in the actual building.
My thing is to go on-line and request books through their reservation system. An email alerts me when the book is waiting for me to pick it up. So easy. Love that!

Earlier this week I met a bunch of old friends (and let me clarify...not old as in aged, but old as in...we go back a long time!) for lunch. At one point we were talking about movies for kids and the comment was made about researching movies online (list of top 100 kid movies, etc) for ideas. Awesome! This triggered me to investigate borrowing movies from the library. A couple of evenings ago, I sat down with a list of family friendly movies I had compiled and I started searching the library reservation system. Sure enough. A good majority of them are available to borrow. Some of them had a bit of a waiting list but that's ok, we can't watch them all at once anyway. So once those email notices start popping into my inbox, I have a feeling weekend family movie nights will be taken care of for the next little while. For free. Gotta love that!

Each week in Max's classroom, a students name is drawn and they are the "Star of the Week".
This past week has been Max's week.
He has special responsibilities including leading the calendar routine, leading the line and modelling good classroom behaviour.
There were special pages he had to fill out and share with the class (favourite things, non favourite things, family photos, etc.)
Each day he gets to bring in a special item to show and share with his classmates. He decided on the following things:

Monday - Special hockey memorabilia
Tuesday - Remote control airplane that flys indoors
Wednesday - PA Day
Thursday - A collection of favourite photos
Friday - Treasure box filled with some of his favourite little things and a big tray of rice krispie treats to share with everyone.

And because no post is complete without a photo or three....
Max with the collection of photos he brought in to share with his class on Thursday.

Helping to make rice kispie treats for his class. He doesn't overly enjoy cooking/baking so this was a bit of a stretch to get him to cooperate the entire time and help make these things.

Happy Chinese New Year! Max's teacher celebrates the Chinese New Year and they have a big celebration in their class. He came home with his lucky money yesterday (red envelope, with a gold (chocolate) coin inside). I think it's called laycee? That's how it sounds but I'm sure it's spelled differently.

All right. That was enough chatting. Time to get at it. This weekend will bring some fun things like...hockey practice, a party, Keith's parents coming for breakfast Saturday morning, Max's hockey game, shopping for a central vac system, teaching Sunday School, having my grandpa over for lunch on Sunday and I think it's Super Bowl Sunday isn't it? Should start figuring that out as well. Oh and hot tubbing. The weather this past week has been absolute perfection for hot tubbing.

Have an awesome weekend!! :-)

No comments: