Friday, January 7, 2011

On the mend & Christmas at our House 2010

Hello. :-)
I'm still here. As of now, the only fever I'm fighting is cabin fever if you know what I mean.
Max is the one who ended up with the big bad dose of flu.
Yesterday was the 4th full day of it for him and the first day that we've seen an improvement. Up until then, he just kept getting steadily worse. We went to see the doctor on Tuesday afternoon because I couldn't get his fever down at all and he couldn't keep any food/liquids down. It just kept climbing and tylinol wouldn't touch it. I was worried. And concerned. To put it mildly. I don't want to think about those temperature readings I was seeing. Scary. Thankfully the doctor knew things I didn't (go figure) and a switch of medicine got his fever moving the right direction pronto.
Needless to say, the two of us have been holed up in our house doing a whole lot of nothing. Lots of resting. Baths. Listening to CDs. Drinking liquids. Reading books. Snuggling. Inhaling vitamins (me) to try to help the bug stay at bay.
All I have to say is...You do not want this flu. Trust me. Keep your distance from it.

I know I haven't posted any Christmas photos yet. Somehow all my good intentions for this week suddenly flew out the window and didn't seem very important in the whole scheme of things. I'm hoping to do a marathon of posting the photos and just get it done and over with. I'm going to start with Christmas Eve below. I won't be posting the rest of the photos until next week but once I get started, it will be with a flurry!

December 24th...

LeeAnne showed up mid-morning bearing breakfast....cinnamon buns from Schmidts Bulk Pantry.
Oh dear. Oh yum. Oh DEAR! Oh YUM!
(She obviously thinks it's funny to try and sabotage my dieting ways.)

In the afternoon I ran around the house like a crazed woman doing last minute cleaning, vacuuming, ironing, wrapping gifts...that type of thing. While I was doing that, Keith and Max went to the pet store and picked out a few new fish for our tank in the basement...


We have a bunch of little traditions in our house on Christmas Eve. One of them being new pjs's at Christmas. There is one present under the tree for the Maxter to open on Christmas Eve night. When the gift is unwrapped, it's always the same thing... a new pair of pajamas.
(Hmmmm...me thinks I was being a bit overly optimistic when I bought these...buying the next size up so he can fit into them next year as well. It appears he'll be wearing them for the next 5 years!)

A pair of soft cozy moccasins were included with the pajamas. Definitely a hit!

Another tradition is for each of us to pick a Psalm from the Bible. There are different ways of doing it. We take the Bible and seperate the book of Psalms from the rest of the books. Then each person takes a turn using a pin to poke it in the book of Psalms. When you open it up, whatever chapter the tip of the pin is touching, that is your own personal Psalm for the upcoming year. Last step is to read it aloud for everyone to hear. This is something that Keith's family has always done at Christmas time (except we would pick numbers from a bowl and whatever number you picked, that was your Psalm chapter). My family did it occassionally. There are too many of us to do this now with Keith's family, so we've all started to do it in our own homes.
Max-Psalm 42  *  Patti-Psalm 10  *  Keith-Psalm 119

I always like to take a family shot of us before we head out to church on Christmas Eve using the timer on my camera. However. I've been having camera problems again. Focusing issues. Ugh. I must sound like a broken record. I've noticed it often happens after I've been using the self-timer. After Christmas (which is now!) I'm going to be sending it back in for fixing. Yet again. Over the holidays I refrained from using the timer so I would at least have a usable camera. So this is what we have instead. Someone was feeling rather hyper that night, wouldn't you say?!



This next one was a happy accident. Hearts! Love it! I've tried to recreate this with no success thus far...

And then it was off to church we went for the 7:30pm service. I rather like attending church on Christmas Eve. :-)

The Sunday School kids put on a fantastic performance of "Three Wee Kings".

Max was one of the lions...



After church was over, we headed over to my parents house. It's tradition after all. :-) My mom's homemade pizza for whoever doesn't have plans elsewhere. Her pizza and table never disappoints!

No problem convincing the cousins to put on their pajamas on Christmas Eve.

The two younger cousins are a bit more of a handful. To put it mildly. They have no qualms about helping themselves...
(adorable, eh?!)

Vanessa (bless her dear heart!) rounded up all 4 of her little nephews and got them whipped into shape for a little nativity performance following our late dinner. It's always very chaotic and unorderly. Which is part of the charm of it all! Max first starred in that play 7 years ago at the ripe old age of 3 months. Yes. He played baby Jesus and slept the whole time in that little wooden cradle. Things were much less chaotic back in those days! LOL!

We made a quick get-away following the performance and headed home to get some shut-eye before Santa arrived...

Merry Christmas to All and to All a good night!

No comments: