The Old Lahaina Luau. Going to a luau is a must. Preferably towards the end of your vacation. That way you are more accustomed to the time change and won't fall asleep halfway through the meal. You'll have some nice golden colour. And you're much more relaxed and have adapted to the slower pace. It's a nice way to end a vacation...

Even though our hotel had it's own luau, we chose to go to the Old Lahaina Luau instead. It's highly recommended. Right on the ocean. The food is fantastic. The hula dancing is beautiful. And the grounds are gorgeous. (Did you notice the rainbow in the photo above? We saw millions of rainbows on this vacation!) You just can't go wrong.
Keith and Max are checking out the Imu. This is the underground pit that has a pig steaming in it...which will be served for dinner at the luau...

This is what imu looks like once the pig has been removed. The bottom is lined with white hot rocks. Pig is placed on top. Then covered with banana leaves and finally everything is covered with sand. And it steams the pig all day.


Musicians play Hawaiian music all night long....

All the tables are arranged around a centre stage where they perform a hula show after the dinner...



We drove out past Makena one afternoon to check out the most recent lava flows/fields on Maui. So how recent are they? Well we were told by the interpreter up on Haleakala that there are two differing opinions. Scientists say the flows/fields are about 600 years old (using their carbon dating procedures, etc.) however, accounts by people put the flows/fields at 200 years old. Quite a difference. Which one do you believe?

We found a blow hole. At one point, Keith and Max got completely soaked by a huge wave. The one below is pretty tame and little compared to the soaker one. I didn't have my camera out to catch it in time.

Lots of waves pound and crash the shoreline...

Looks like ground, doesn't it? It's not. It's razer sharp lava. There are acres and acres and acres of fields of lava in this area. I learned the hard way and cut my leg on lava up on Haleakala. It's still healing today. And that stuff wasn't near as crazy-sharp as the fields below...you had to mind your business.


On our last full night on Maui (that we were staying over night) we decided to eat dinner at the grill/restaurant at our hotel. As we sat down, we joked that it would probably end up being our most favourite place to eat. That's usually what happens to us. We discover favourite places at the very end. And yeah, that pretty much happened again. The service wasn't the best - sloooooooow. But the food was delicious. (a bit pricey, but very tasty) And the ambience was utterly fantastic! Check out how mellow and relaxed we are...especially considering Max is holding my camera when he is taking that photo of us. I don't look too worried, do I?


Sunset was at 7:00pm. I ran out to the beach (just a hop, skip and barely a jump away from our table) to get this sunset photo...

On my way back to our table, I stopped. There were two hula dancers standing in my way...

I had no clue what was going on. Then I heard a conch shell being blown and next thing you know....


There was a little hula evening show being performed. Apparently they performed this every evening at sunset. There was live music being played. And it was all pretty much magical. Max was in awe of that fire dancer.

That would be why our meal was pretty much fantastical. You can't beat a tasty meal in a tropical setting with live music and entertainment. When you were least expecting it. Trust us to figure this out on our last night.


A visit to the Iao Valley State Park. Such a beautiful spot.

checking out the taro plants...

Part way through our very first day in Maui, I said to Max "So buddy, is this what you expected Maui to be like?". And he said "NO!" very seriously. I was a bit taken back. I asked him why it wasn't. And he said "Well. I thought that all the buildings would be made out of grass and straw." I told him that the tiki huts have grass roofs...but no, he was expecting entire buildings made out of grass and straw. :-) We found this on our last day...it was the closest we came to finding an entire building made out of grass.



Maui Tropical Plantation. We took a little guided tour on the train...


The green plants/bushes in the foreground are coffee bean plants...

We watched a coconut husking demonstration...

The white stuff is the fresh coconut that Max pretty much inhaled while we were there. He loved it.

Some unusual tree roots...They were not climbable though. They were covered with sharp little prickles. Prickly enough to discourage little boys from climbing in them...


Please excuse the unusual tilt of the gazebo in this next photo. That's what happens when you have your camera perched precariously on your purse and are using the self timer. Enough said.

"Someone" found a pair of sunglasses in the gazebo. And that's when he turned on his own particular brand of charm...



Last photo is a banana plant. Cool, eh?

1 comment:
I love your pics! are you going to do a digi scrapbook for this holiday?? I so want to see it if you do!
Post a Comment