Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Last day of school

Summer vacation.
Bring. It. On.
Max and I are both super excited to have a break from school.
I can hardly believe that he's finished with grade one.
That sure went by in a flash.
I started off this morning by snapping a few pictures.
And without intentionally planning to do this, I kinda ended up documenting a good portion of the day with photos. I've never really attempted to do anything like that before. But I think it turned out neat. It was as simple as having my camera on my kitchen counter, ready and available.

Here's my tousel headed little boy. Ready to head out for his last day. They were having a class party and allowed to bring in treats. When I asked him what he wanted to bring in (suggesting rice krispie squares) he said he wanted to bring in fruit. All righty then. I had planned to also include watermelon. But it was all. We were on snack duty the night before at Max's soccer game and his team ate an entire watermelon during their half-time break. The whole thing! So we went with strawberries and grapes instead. Which worked out for the best because apparently someone else in his class ended up bringing in watermelon.

We made cards to give to his teachers. He wrote a note to each of them inside complete with stickers and drawings...

It was ch-ch-ch-chilly today. What a switch from the previous day of sweltering humidity. We had to go back in and get a coat for the little man.


Time: 2:40pm. FREEDOM!!!!


Wildflowers picked on the way home from school. I love the little bouquets he gives to me!

Outdoor and Indoor shoes. Both purchased at the beginning of September. Not hard to figure out which are which... 

"Is this for meeeeeeeeeee??????!!!!"
You bet little man!

I had some leftover race car chocolates from a family reunion we were at on Sunday. I knew he would be pleased...



They didn't stay race cars for long though. The lure of chocolate won out...

A final clean-up of the backpack. Does anyone else find this exciting at the end of the year? I love looking through, seeing and reading all the treasures he comes home with...
I was reading one little booklet that listed all of Max's favourite things...hotwheels...Speedracer....knights....
I looked at him kinda confused and asked him when he wrote that.
"A long time ago mom! I'm not really into those things anymore, am I?!"
It's so interesting how their likes change and evolve without you realizing it. Right now he's just all about sports, sports, sports and more sports.


Not much left of his 24 pack of pencil crayons...

Cleaning out his lunch box...

The general rule of thumb in our house is whatever lunch comes back home from school, that's what is eaten first for snack. It's obvious today there was a party. Lunch was not a priority.

Chalking on the driveway. Can you read what he wrote?
"Scool is ewt. it Rocks."
(Translation: School is out. It rocks.)

We ate late tonight. After baseball was over. And it was chillier then ever. Keith actually wore a jacket while grilling the burgers.

Fresh build-your-own strawberry shortcake for dessert...

Filling up the hot tub with clean water (it has to be drained and filled about every 3 months) while Max is kicking around his soccer ball...

"Can we build it? Yes we can!" (said in a bob-the-builder-ish tone)
Keith and Max assembled our new portable bbq. Our previous one lived a long and good life. But it was rusted clear through. I fear we would be eating cold, raw food if we attempted to try and use it this year.

Summer vacation means camping.  Time to start packing and preparing! :-)

I'm heading off to bed. And no, I'm not setting my alarm tomorrow morning. Yippee!

No comments: