Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Today he is 6 years old!






So the little man is not so little anymore. Six years old today and both Keith and I are so happy to celebrate this little milestone with him! I had full intentions of scanning in some of his baby photos. But again this year, they are boxed up in some corner of the house and theres no way I'm going to find them. So, instead I'll share a few photos and 6 random facts about the Mighty Maxter.

1. Max absolutely loves his name. When we are out and about driving around he is over the moon when he sees a ReMax sign or Office Max store. Max seems to be popular with business names so we are always keeping our eyes open for a new sign. The most recent one we saw is "Max's Golf Centre" in Waterloo.

2. He no longer likes the colour pink. I should mention that he hasn't for a few years now, since he started preschool. He wasn't too many days into his preschool career when he came home and informed us that he "no longer likes pink. Pink is for girls!" I think Keith breathed a sigh of relief with that declaration. LOL! But lately, Max seems to have developed an even stronger aversion to it. Today he came home from school and we were going through his backpack. A note came home from the teacher informing me that "Max is in the pink colour house. Remember to wear pink tomorrow for Colour House Day." So I asked Max about it and didn't he burst into tears just like that? At first I had no idea why he was crying. And then in between his sobs I figured it out. They were assigned colours (they couldn't pick) and he had to be pink and he didn't want to be in the pink group and he was not going to wear pink. I managed to calm him down and assured him he didn't have to wear pink. First of all...there's no pink in our house. Hello...little boy here! So I racked my brains for a while and we decided to go over to the dollar store to see if we could find something pink for him to take. We found a pack of plastic compass rings in the party section and two of them were hot pink in colour. He decided he wouldn't mind wearing the rings tomorrow. When we were at the counter paying there was a group of boys behind us...probably around grade 4 or so and we heard them talking to each other "Dude! check out the rings. They have compasses on them. Cooooool!" That was the best thing that could have happened. We left the store with Max smiling ear to ear, no longer worried about being in the pink colour house because his two pink rings were cool. After all, the big kids said so, so it must be true!

3. When he grows up he wants to be a scientist. Because scientists are astronauts and fly to the moon and discover outer space. This summer we were visiting friends in Vancouver. Their daughter Dana had a telescope. Well, Max was "over the moon" with excitement over this. The kids just got all hyper and their observations and stories got progressively crazier and wilder as the night went on. "Mom!! We just saw a meteor crashing into the earth!" "Hey mom! We saw an astronaut floating through space. It's really true! And he waved at us! It's really true!" By the end of the night they were all convinced that they had seen meteors and astronauts and spaceships flying around in space. The power of imagination.

4. His favourite toys right now are Lego, magnetics, cars (hot wheel type), pirates and knights and boardgames. Lots of little itty bitty pieces for me to vacuum up. Or not. Favourite foods still include pancakes and all kinds of fruit. Latest craze is gum - juicy fruit and juicy berry being his favourite. Daisy is his favourite little stuffie (dog) that sleeps with him every night. And favourite musical instrument that he wants to learn to play? The drums. Go figure.

5. He likes the rain. Every day when we walk home from school he asks me when it's going to rain. "I just need a break mom. I just need some fresh rain to give me a break." Sounds to me like he's a little westcoaster through and through!

6. He loves his birthday. Tonight as he was getting ready for bed he said to me "Mom...you know those banners? Do you think that maybe you could put up a birthday banner for me and some decorations for my birthday when I'm in bed sleeping?" Awwww! I assured him not to worry that we would celebrate his birthday all day tomorrow and there would be decorations.

And so without further ado, let the celebrations begin...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Max!!! XOXOXO

Patti, I am convinced that Keith has been on him to no longer like pink!!! =)

What's your email address by now?

Janice

Krisitina said...

Happy Birthday to Max!!! =]

Kristina Zehr

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday Max!!

Forgot to tell you this cute story... Erica showed me that on the underside of our kitchen light it says "Max", (you know the Max 100 Watt warnings??) I was very proud of her for being so observant later she told me that Max had pointed it out to her while he was here! Very sweet.

My parents are here for a couple more days and I can't wait to get your new number and here how things are going! We miss you dearly!

Give the Maxter a big hug from us!