Friday, December 3, 2010

Counting Down...

I want to be a better blogger in December. I've been slacking. My goal is to post daily. Little posts. Capturing our little traditions and activities throughout this month.

Advent calendars.
Didn't you just love them as a kid?
Me too!
This year, we have a serious collection of countdown calendars in our house. It all started out quite innocently when my neighbour friend alerted me to the "kinder egg" advent calendars that are out this year.

Then there is a paper chain countdown calendar we make every year. Max came home with it in kindergarten and we've continued it every year. Very simple - make a paper chain with 24 links and attach it to a glittery star. We have it hanging on a door by a magnet. Each day, the Maxter rips off a paper ring to countdown to Christmas.

Next up, this special basket of Christmas books. All wrapped up quite unfancily. (They are our existing collection of Christmas books...I did not buy any new ones.) Each evening, we randomly pick a wrapped book, unwrap it and read it together. Max loves this little tradition of discovering his Christmas favourite books all over again.

In the mail the other day Max recieved the cutest Christmas card from his friend Jack. The front of the card is an advent calendar with miniature windows to open up every day. Cute!

And to top it all off, Max came home today from school with another chocolate advent calendar. They are currently learning about Christmas traditions around the world. The latest country was Germany and the teacher sent them each home with one.

At this rate we'll need a calendar to keep track of our advent calendars! ;-)
Actually, Max is completely on top of all of them. Not surprisingly.
(Wonder if he'll notice if I snitch any of the chocolate...hmmmm. What do you think?!)

I'm not very on top of stuff this year. Normally all my Christmas cards would be ordered/printed/addressed and mailed by this time. Guess what. This year, I haven't even ordered them yet.  I have a big list of things to do this weekend, that is for sure. Wish me luck!

And before I sign off, thought I would post a few good deals that I'm aware of...

I use Photoworks for calendars and photobooks. LOVE their product, the quality and their service. This weekend they are offering 30% off and free shipping. (free shipping only applies to the USA unfortunately but here in Canada you can still take advantage of the 30% off which is a rip-roaring good deal.)

I was in there today (St Jacobs Market/Waterloo location) and the salesclerk was telling me that they are now able to print everything right there. As in personalized mugs. Photobooks. Keychains. Stuff like that. Previously it was all sent out and there was a 2-3 week turnaround time. Now they have all the equipment right there and can have it ready in an hour. Great to know! (Not sure about the other locations in town - I just know that the Waterloo location now has these capabilities.)

Have you heard of it? I just became aware of it this fall....
Each day they have a new deal posted for the city closest to you.
You can sign up on their site to have the deal of the day emailed to you each day. They also place ads in the KW Record listing the current deals and I also hear their commercials on the radio.
Today's deal is for the St. Jacobs Stone Crock Restaurant - buy vouchers for $10 and they're worth $20 at the restaurant. Limit of 5 per person. Coupons expires June 30, 2011.  Great deal! 

No comments: