Friday, February 22, 2008

"You just have to go go go go and never give up!"





Max and I tried something a little different from our normal routines and took a ferry ride over to Bowen Island first thing this morning. When we first moved out here, we lucked out and found an awesome hairdresser in the village. But unfortunately (for us) about a year ago she bought/took over a hairdressing shop on Bowen Island and quit her job in the village. We haven't found anyone since then that we're completely happy with. So today we boated on over for a hair appointment. I think you have to be a special type of person to enjoy island living. Dealing with ferry's and being removed from the normal conveniences that you take for granted. It's only a 15 minute ferry ride....but you have to get there ahead of time so that you get a spot.... (The ferry leaves every hour on the hour) and you might have to wait for the next ferry if it's full. Plus the cost of the ferry ride. Wow. It just seems like such an ordeal to go anywhere! So while it was a fun little excursion today, I was glad when we finally got back home and it made me really thankful that we live on the mainland. Mind you, I'm sure the residents of the island say the same thing...that they're so thankful they live on the island, away from the rat race of the mainland... LOL! Right beside the hairdresser is an amazing little chocolate shop called Cocoa West and everything is made with organic chocolate. Mmmmmm! Max enjoyed a gelato cone and I had a dark chocolate hot chocolate. It was to-die-for-amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best hot cocoa EVAHHHHHH!!!! (Totally and completely worth all the ferry rig-a-ma-role you have to deal with!!)

This afternoon the Maxter had hockey. And he was very pumped that his daddy left work early to come and cheer him on. It means THE WORLD to him when Keith shows up to watch. He skates extra fast when he sees him. And does extra little twirls around the ice. So funny!! When he got off the ice today he was all excited and talking a mile a minute. He informed us that "You never give up! You just have to go go go go go and never give up!" So cute to hear that come from the lips of your little four year old boy who's hair is all sweaty and cheeks are all rosy from the little game he just played. In his mind, they are all pretty much Canucks! :-)

P.S. Check out the pics...Max is A LOT smaller than the rest of the players. It's for 4-6 year olds. He's 4. The rest of them are 5 and 6 with the majority of them turning 6 this spring. He doesn't even see the size/age difference. All he knows is that he's part of the team and he has a coach. Good lesson for me as an adult to view the world through the eyes of a child!

2 comments:

jenn said...

Love it!!!! I love it! But then I am a hockey mom! ;) The Benmister gets to do power skating tomorrow, alex has a game! I can't imagine driving onto the ferry! Your brave! I love your pics Patti and your stories make me feel like i'm there! LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Man, that chocolate shop looks good!! Yummy!!
That is so cute Max plays extra hard when Keith is there! As if!! So sweet!

Legs