Well hello there. It's December 14th and I feel not a lick of Christmas spirit. It's not that I'm feeling grinchy or all bah-humbug-ish. Not at all. It just has been a different kind of December so far this year and I think these photos sum it up....it's a muted toned-down year...bits of bright lights here and there...but just not the bright holly jolly I usually feel.
I woke up last Friday morning with my grandpa's funeral behind me. I immediately felt slightly (actually alot) panicked. Realizing there was two weeks left until Christmas and that I hadn't put very much thought or effort into plans or anything of the sort. I calmed down once I made a list (or twelve). I gave myself a stern pep talk. Convinced myself to only focus on a few important (to me) and absolutely necessary things. Christmas baking? Totally removed from the list. Gift shopping? I decided to wrap everything I had so far and then see where I was at. Turns out after I did that, I happily realized I only have to pick up a few more stocking stuffers for the Maxter and return one thing and we're done. No need to panic on that front after all. Christmas cards? Almost decided not to do them this year. But I am. Yes I am. I didn't fuss. Picked a design on etsy. Was satisfied and happy with the proof. Ordered and printed them on the spot. All of them. Right then and there. (Didn't even take my own advice about doing a trial print first. Probably should have. But in the whole scheme of things, I decided to let it go.) I made up a little calendar page of all the days that are left before Christmas and pencilled in all our commitments. In the few open and empty spots, we added a couple of things that we absolutely want to do before Christmas like building a gingerbread house and going on our annual night-time hot chocolate drive around town to see all the beautiful Christmas lights.
In other news, I have a very sick little boy here in my house. Last night around 11:45pm, he came over to tell me he had thrown up all over his bed. That was just the beginning of a long night. I suspected food poisoning initially because for the first few hours like clockwork he would be sick every 10 minutes. I had to keep track on a piece of paper how many times he was sick - it was unending and I lost count. Finally around 9:15 this morning he stopped. Thankfully. He is totally and utterly tired and exhausted. He says his stomach still feels a bit "medium" which is max speak for feeling "unsettled". I called the school today to see if they have had any reported cases of the flu amongst the students. Turns out they have. Lots of cases. It's going around. Who knew? Not I. Students have been sick in the office, waiting for parents to pick them up and someone had just gotten sick in the library when I called. It's NOT nice. Take precautions....you don't want this. We have been saying many prayers and asking for healing, for sure.
So I'm trying not to worry about my sick little boy and doing load after load of laundry...including bedding bedding and more bedding and about 35 stuffies which had the unfortunate experience of being in bed with him when he got sick. Is it any wonder I'm not quite in the Christmas spirit? LOL!
One of the things I wanted to do this year was starting with December 1 and for the entire month of December, take one photo a day. WOW? So hard for me to do, right? ;-) I planned to use these 31 photos to make a Christmasy collage showing a glimpse of how we celebrated Christmas in 2011. Well, I actually have been taking photos every day. But here's the thing. It's impossible for me to nail it down to only one favourite for each day. So I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do with them now. But I will attempt to keep at it and maybe something brilliant will come to mind once I'm finished at the end of December. These photos I've included in this post are my December 1st photos. Taken back in the woods behind our house. Beautiful spot when the cool winter sunlight streams through the trees. I don't typically take nature photos so it's a bit challenging for me to find "the photo" but once you start looking, it's amazing what you see through the viewfinder.
Peace.
it does not mean to
be in a place where
there is no noise,
trouble or hard work
it means to be in the
midst of all those
things and still be
calm in your heart.
Author unknown





No comments:
Post a Comment