Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Free Art





We spent this past weekend in Abbotsford with friends. We stayed two nights at the Ramada Inn. Saturday morning we all went to the Outdoor Show at the Tradex. Think boats, quads, fishing, hunting, etc. Definitely a guy thing. Max quite enjoyed it...he participated in "guppy races", trout fishing, panned for gold, made a fish craft and was quite enthused about the "Reptile Guy's" booth. Oh yes...all kinds of reptiles including BIG SNAKES. Which are the thing I'm the most scared of in the world. Apparently, Max touched the boa constrictor or python or whatever it was. Ewwwww. I was much more impressed with touring the houseboat on display. Have you ever been in one of those? Seriously impressive...I think it could sleep about 15...there was a nice big dining area/kitchen/living room. Up on the roof was a hot tub and a nice big slide to slide off into the water. It was really nice. And only about $2200 to rent for 4 days in the low season. Cha-chiiing!!!! Cindy and I took off after an hour or so and found a mall. Had a delightful lunch and then did a bit of shopping. We met up with the guys later in the afternoon. Went out for a nice dinner, swam in the hotel pool and had a relaxing evening. We drove home on Sunday, just in time to escape the snow that got dumped on the lower mainland.

Further explanation about my "free art". Max picked out this Vancouver Art Gallery brochure at the hotel - you know how they have those cubbies with flyers and maps and brochures for guests, right by the elevator? That's where he got it. And he gave it to me as a "gift" when I got back from shopping on Saturday afternoon. I made the proper "oohs and ahhhs" over it to his great satisfaction. Then I looked at it closer and quite liked the design and the wheels in my head started turning.

This morning, I grabbed a photo frame that had been sitting unused in one of my "things-that-don't-have-a-place-disaster" rooms (Sadly I have two of those rooms)and we went to work. Cut off the information on the brochure. Slipped it into the frame behind the mat and voila! A new piece of art for our home that took 1 minute to make. It's going to look awesome in our basement family room. Yeah Max! :-)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Wow! Your new top photo is gorgeous! I'm sure you took it, but how did you touch it up?

Anonymous said...

Love the art and your pink tulip picture you've posted at the top of your blog. Is that from this year or years past?

Legs

Anonymous said...

Love the tulips and Max... well that is some fine art! If I haven't mentioned it you are the best most creative mother!