Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Devotions for kids


I'm searching for a new book to use for our family devotion time. I thought I would share what we've been using so far and then see if any of my readers have recommendations or suggestions.

We generally have our family devotion time around 7:00-7:30pm at night. After dinner is cleared away and Max gets his PJ's on and we start gearing up for bedtime.

The first devotion book we ever used was the "One Year Book of Devotions for Preschoolers". It's awesome! I think we've been using it for about 3 years now because we got it when Max was barely two years old. There are a handful of little children (Kaitlyn, Zoe, Jack, Parker etc) that are used throughout the book and each day there is a little story/lesson, a bible verse and a prayer.

At the beginning of the year we picked up another book called "Five Minute Devotions for Children". There's about 30 devotions in it and is about animals which is something that tweaks Max's interest.

The other book we've been using on and off is "Bible Stories for Growing Kids" by Francine Rivers. My mom gave it to us last year. I don't think it's marketed as a devotional. But we find it works great. Francine has taken some ordinary stories from the Bible as well as some that you rarely hear about and written them up. At the end there is a separate page that lists interesting facts about the story as well as asks questions, talks about how to apply the lesson to our lives, and then ends with some suggestions for prayer time. The questions are a little bit above Max yet. (He usually answers anything he doesn't know the answer to with "Because they wanted to save and protect the Israelites!" I get a kick out of that. This is now our second time going through the book.

That's what we've been using. And now I want to hear from you! If you are a devotion-time family, I'd love to hear what you are using or any recommendations you have to pass along. Thanks bunches!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are reading our way through the Usborn Family Bible - we all cuddle on the couch, read & then pray together. Jane

Anonymous said...

Remember that big red bible story book we use to read as kids??? That one is pretty cool.... although I have no idea if it's still in print...

xoxo
Legs