
I admit that at 34 years of age, I'm still trying to figure myself out. But there are some things I've come to realize. For example, I'm definitely one of those people who thrives and survives when I'm surrounded by friends. Which is funny, because I'm also someone who needs my space. It's a bit of a balancing act I suppose. With all the moving and relocating that our family has done in the past, I know without a doubt that the sooner I'm out there making friends, the faster and more successful/happier I'll be in my new community/home. (Keith would definitely second that long-winded statement!)
New friends are good. But old friends can't be beat. There's nothing like touching base with a friend you've known forever. I might not have talked to them for a few months, but we can pick up exactly where we left off and there are no explanations needed.
Old Friends
Earlier this week, an extra-special package arrived in the mail addressed only to me. I opened it up and found it filled with all kinds of wonderful goodies. I read the accompanying letter inside. And that's when the tears began to flow. A dear and special friend (you know who you are!) who lives many many miles away had put together a little package for me. Each item that was in the package had special thought or meaning behind it. I have to say that it is one of the most special gifts I have ever received. And it came on a day when I needed it the most. Neat how that works, huh? And to top it off, yesterday I was able to talk to another sweet and very very dear friend. Busy schedules and time differences can make it a challenge to connect sometimes. That shouldn't be an excuse though and I think a New Year's Resolution is in order here. So here's to my dear friends that I've known for years and years and years. The connections and memories we share are a special gift. Never taken for granted!
New Friends
This morning, Christine came over with her two daughters for coffee and lunch after skating lessons. Max and her oldest daughter both go to afternoon kindergarten at the same school, but they are in different classes. Regardless, we've managed to connect after we saw each other at skating lessons. Their family moved from the west coast as well earlier this summer so we have that connection. There's nothing like a coffee for the moms and a playdate for the kids to help us feel like like we're in a normal routine again. I'm very thankful for all the nice moms that I've been meeting through Max's kindergarten class. I think almost half the class has moved here recently and we're all in the same boat - looking for and needing friends. Here's to my new friends, coffee and playdates - definitely one of Life's essential ingredients!
Newer Old Friends
Tonight I chatted on the phone for quite a while with my friend Juli from Vancouver. We've known each other for about 4 years or so. Even though a phone call is not the same as a Starbucks Coffee Chat with her until all hours, it does the trick until I make it back to the big city. Juli's had lots of exciting things happen in her life this past year and to be able to hear her enthusiasm and joy for what life is offering right now for her and to be updated on everything, well, I can't think of a better way to spend an evening! Here's to my friends that I've left behind on the West Coast and Thunder Bay. I'm so glad that the phone helps us keep connected and chatting even though the miles are far and wide between us.(Email is a useful tool, but sometimes you just need a good old fashioned talk!)
So here's to ALL my friends - spread out across Canada and the United States. Regardless whether we are old friends, new friends or newer old friends and touch base frequently or infrequently I'm grateful and blessed by your friendship. Thankyou! :-)
"A hug is worth a thousand words. A friend is worth more."
No comments:
Post a Comment