I slept in. Until 10:00am. I was promptly served breakfast in bed, by my two handsome men.
They know just what I like to start my day with. 1 cup Presidents Choice Raisin Bran and 1 cup skim milk - both measured out. 1 orange and 1 mug of steaming hot black coffee. Mmmmm! Notice the floating eyeball in my milk? MAX!!! I think little 8 year old boys have the BEST sense of humour. That floaty eyeball is soooo him right now. What you don't see in this photo that the entire time I was enjoying my breakfast, he was standing at attention at the foot of my bed with a plastic capgun and wearing a blinking red rudolph nose. Silly silly!!
The three of us spent a nice quiet day lounging around the house - everyone doing whatever they wanted. LeeAnne showed up in the afternoon with some Tim Horton's coffees. Thanks LeeAnne!
We headed to Tavistock for a 6:00pm exhibition hockey game. Max was excited about that - he informed me that it was his gift to me - that I could watch him play hockey. ;-) A most excellent gift indeed!
And excitingly enough, he scored a goal! I was one proud mama - what a great birthday present! We had our own little cheering section going on with aunts and uncles and cousins watching and grandpa and grandma surprised us and showed up too.
There is an unwritten/unspoken/never really discussed or talked about rule, regarding the evening of Dec 27th. Everyone automatically shows up at my parents house. No one really plans it. Makes phone calls to invite. Pre-organizes anything. It just happens. Dec 27th is not only my birthday, it's also my brother Chad's birthday. And somehow - it works out that most of the entire family will end up together that night. Never mind that we were all just there the day before on the 26th celebrating Christmas together. It's just funny because when we got to my parents place after the hockey game, about half my siblings were there...and every so often, the front door would open and more would show up and soon we were all there. I think we were all there this year except for LeeAnne who had other obligations that evening.
My mom manages to always have a great spread of food put together for us...I wish I knew how she does it. She's completely amazing that way...
And here we are....the two birthday sibs. I'm not going to say how old I turned this year - it scares me too much! LOL! But I will say that Chad is 9 years younger than me and this birthday still had him in his 20's.
Keith surprised me with a really sweet birthday present...a getaway to the Pillar and Post Inn in Niagara-on-the-Lake. We went just this past weekend and it was lovely! My parents graciously took good care of Max for us while we were gone. The Pillar and Post Inn is beautiful. Upscale Country atmosphere. The food is FANTASTIC. Sunday brunch was A-MAZING! Mmmmmm Mmmmm! It was a perfect little getaway - we both loved it!
We checked out the semi-frozen shoreline of Lake Ontario on Sunday afternoon when we were leaving. I just love the colours of winter. Wherever I looked, I saw shades of white, cream, greys and pale blues. So calming and serene. And I heard the water lapping at the shore.... that water sound always seems to ground me. There is no better sound in nature then that. :-)
You would think we'd be done celebrating birthdays around here for a while now. Rumour has it that a certain papa bear has a birthday coming up in a couple of days. I think we'll soon ALL be headed to the Gerber house to celebrate all over again. Thankfully I'm not the one who's turning older this time though!
***
Wonderful Plans
God is still in control of every situation.
The universe belongs to Him, including all the
people in it. At such a time as this, He may be
planning something wonderful a mere step beyond
the problem we face. Just because we don't see the
blessing yet doesn't mean it isn't on it's way.













No comments:
Post a Comment