Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Happy May!

Today is May Day. I don't really know much about it. Except that it's on my calendar and it has a nice ring to it cause it rhymes and it does bring up such lovely thoughts of springtime.

Due to the abnormally dry spring we've been having, the woods behind our house are lovely for playing in. Normally it would be ignored....with mud and water and swampyness filled with bugs and it's just not the greatest for playing in at this time of year. Normally. But this year is different and the woods have held hours of enjoyment and entertainment. :-)

A couple of weeks ago we were wandering through on our way home from school and discovered the trilliums were blooming. The sun was shining, it was warm, and we had even discovered a bunny or two hopping around. On a whim I said to Max "I wish I could take some pictures of you..." knowing that the answer would be a huff and a puff and a big growl of "NO" from my boy. Imagine my surprise when he said "sure mom!" WHAaaaaaaaT?! I didn't even know if I had batteries charged in my camera or where to find a blank memory card....I not expecting that answer from him at all!

We dropped off our stuff at the house and I grabbed my camera. "Would you mind switching shirts quickly?" I asked him knowing this time the answer would be a full out "NO!" and I was def pushing my luck. But, wonder of wonders, I got another "sure" and he ran upstairs, got a clean shirt and out we went. (I knew better than to push different jeans. I could live with grass-stained knees with holes!)


Back in the woods we went...laughing and chatting and giggling and me snapping away like crazy and 10 minutes later we were done.

I love what came off that memory card as a result...





Dirty hands from picking that trillium...

I wasn't kidding about grass-stained jeans with holes in the knees....
(To be honest, all of his pants are in this shape. I'm hoping short wearing weather arrives soon as I'm hoping to avoid buying him any more jeans before the fall.)



The March sun arrived early and with it, Max's freckles. Love how they sprinkle over his nose and cheeks at this time of year...


This next picture makes me laugh. We had just heard a scurrying noise rustling behind us. A frightened bunny taking off....Max was intently looking to see what was going on...



There you have it...some of my most favourite photos...captured on a whim. They look like spring to me and I hope that type of weather comes back here again soon!

Keith is back to travelling again this week....Vancouver and Edmonton. He took a photo this morning just for me from his hotel room facing the North Shore Mountains. It made me smile. You can't see the mountains....just the fog. Love! :-) 

No comments: