Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers Day Weekend

A lovely, busy special Mothers Day weekend was had around these parts.

First of all,  I have a new running buddy. (I am not ditching my other running buddy. Not at all. Just adding another one to the mix!) We've been training together. He is way faster than me. Has way more endurance. My new challenge now is not to be left in his dust!

My running buddy's name is Max. On Saturday he ran his very first race. He did the 3K and I did the 5K.

 He is good at running. Unlike myself. It seems to come as easy to him as breathing. For me, it comes as naturally and easily as flying. Why is that?

They handed out medals to the kids that did the 1K and the 200 meter dash. They had extra's so Max snagged one.

Max placed 9th out of 51 and had a time of 13:57. Awesome for his first race :)

As for myself, I've been down and out this past week with a muscle spasm in my neck. Not a fun experience. Very thankful for tylenol and an amazing chiropractor. I wouldn't have been able to run on Saturday without that tylenol though. So considering that I wasn't feeling the best, I finished 100th out of 140 in the 5K with a time of 30:32. I shaved off about a minute and a half from my last race so I was happy with that. I don't really care where I finish in the standings overall...but it is a fun challenge to work at beating your own record.

Upon waking up on Mother' Day, I was told to stay in bed and shortly, I was served breakfast in bed. (Coffee, sliced strawberries and raisin bran. My usual. My fav.) I wonder who in the world started that tradition of breakfast in bed?  I quite like it! Not every day mind you. But Mothers Day and Birthdays? Most certainly! That flower pot above comes from Max (with the little Hen/chick plant) Love! So appropriate coming from him. We had seen them at the grocery store a bit ago and he was so intrigued by all the different variety's. And then when I explained the name to him, he was really interested in them. So when one showed up for me on mother's day, I thought it most appropriate! :)

 My sister LeeAnne invited the whole family over to her house for lunch. My dad announced he would do the cooking that day. He always cooks on Mothers Day. KFC Style.....

A bunch of us brought salads....we figured we should try to add a healthy element in there.

Heather made this to-die-for chocolate cake. You only need a sliver. It's very rich. It's very very very good.

In the afternoon, we took the boys down/over to the park to play... 

I remember playing here as a kid. Even though the equipment has changed over the years, it still seems exactly the same to me as it did back then. 



The deal on Mother's Day each year is that at some point, I get a picture taken with my boys and they aren't allowed to fuss. He cooperates for about 1 minute. Small window of time. :)

"I will protect you
until you are grown;
and then I will
let you fly free.
But loving you,
that is for always."

~Charlotte Gray
  


Orchids from my honey. They are so gorgous!! I'm scared....... Will I kill them? I hope not. The instructions seem very easy. But still.....  I will do my best!

No comments: